Job Opening – Engineering Research Scientist at Donald Danforth Plant Science Center – St. Louis, Missouri
The Shakoor Laboratory at the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center in St. Louis, Missouri is seeking an Engineering Research Scientist to join their team in studying the effects of phenotype, genotype, and environment on crop productivity. The lab research focuses primarily on using cutting edge tools, methods, and technologies to understand and optimize the capacity of Sorghum bicolor to capture carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and store it in its roots, shoots and leaves. Specific responsibilities include supporting the goals of multiple NSF-funded Cyber-physical Systems projects and collaborating closely with Saint Louis University (Dr. Flavio Esposito) to develop a backend platform for agricultural IoT systems, supporting engineering activities, including design, testing, fabrication, assembly and validation of prototype sensors and mechatronic systems and designing and implementing both machine learning systems for automated agricultural applications and research studies (collect and analyze data). In addition, the candidate will be responsible for presenting summaries and interpretations of research results and participating in general lab research activities as needed (plant care, sample preparation and greenhouse/controlled environment experiments).
The position is full time and applications are being accepted on a rolling basis until a candidate is selected.
The following documents are required to apply:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three (3) professional references
- MS or PhD degree in computer science, software engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, agricultural engineering or related discipline (robotics, IoT, precision farming technologies, etc.).
- Working knowledge of integrated circuits, IC sensors, PCB design and power integrity is required.
- Knowledge of computer network and operating system hardware and software sufficient to develop new methods and standards.
- Understanding of common machine learning algorithms, data mining, geospatial and remote sensing image analysis.
- Willingness to work outside in field conditions to deploy, test, and gather data from new cyber-physical platforms.
- Ability to organize, multitask time efficiently and work both independently and collaboratively within a multidisciplinary and interactive research environment.
- Effective writing and communication skills, meticulous record keeping.
- Familiarity with Google Drive and the Microsoft Suite of products, specifically Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Valid license to drive company vehicles to bring materials and equipment to and from work sites/fields.
- Live the Danforth Center values: Collaboration, Diversity & Inclusion, Innovation, Integrity & Respect, Environmental Sustainability, and Stewardship.
- Three or more years of relevant experience.
For more information and to apply see the job posting.